How to identify a fake web shop?
Unfortunately, there is no easy answer. Nowadays, it is not difficult for fraudsters to create replicas of a website with an identical graphic image. The list of problems that can occur when shopping online is extensive. They can misuse your credit card, you won’t receive the goods, or you’ll receive a fake product ... and we could go on and on. But not everything is so bad and with some information, you will be completely ready for online shopping. To empower and reassure you, we have prepared 8 short tips to help you before your next purchase.
- If you receive an invitation in your e-mail inbox to visit an unknown web shop and if this is included in the spam, be careful as this may be the first warning that something is wrong with the web shop.
- When prices in a web shop seem too good to be true, this is most likely true. If all products are reduced by 50% or more, caution is needed.
- If you find the web shop domain suspicious in any way, check it out. There are quite a few free tools online that can tell you where a domain is registered and in which country it is hosted on the server. Above all, pay attention to the email from which the domain is registered.
- Search for the selected shop through the search engine and check the information. If the data does not match, this is already a real alarm. They say Uncle Google knows everything.
- The easiest way is to check the web shop online. Find the submitted reviews of consumers and read their experiences. However, you also need to be careful here and not believe everything you read. You can come across invaluable store reviews, especially abroad, but so far we have not noticed this on Slovenian forums.
- Always use verified means of payment, such as PayPal or credit cards. If Western Union or MoneyGram are among the options, it’s time for extra attention again. Also, be careful if encrypted HTTPS data transfer and a lock character are used in a payment process.
- Contact customer support. You will usually need to fill out an online form and receive a reply to your email address. When you receive a reply, please check that you haven't received it from any free email provider (Gmail, Yahoo ...). Large and trusted companies use their own domains.
- The easiest way to identify a secure web shop, is to look for the Certified Shop international trust mark, which verifies all of the above components during the certification process. Certified Shop shops provide you with a safe shopping experience, and you can also read the opinions of verified customers; those who have actually made a purchase in the web shop.